Kevin is an experienced litigator whose practice spans across a wide range of civil and commercial disputes (including, in particular, shareholder disputes, trust / probate disputes and insolvency matters), regulatory investigations and white collar crime matters (including, in particular, investigations by the Commercial Crime Bureau, the Securities and Futures Commission and the Independent Commission Against Corruption).
Kevin is a dual-qualified solicitor (in Hong Kong and England & Wales). He is trilingual, being fully proficient in English, Cantonese and Mandarin.
Kevin was named as "The Rising Star of the Year" at the Asialaw and Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific Dispute Resolution Awards 2018. He has also been named as a "Future Star (Commercial and Transactions)" by Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific in 2018 and 2019.
Kevin is the Chairman of the Dispute Resolution Sub-Committee of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) in Hong Kong.
Selected significant cases which Kevin has advised on include:
Company (including insolvency)
- Advising the majority shareholder of a Hong Kong listed company in a shareholder dispute.
- Advising a Hong Kong listed company in relation to a share option dispute.
- Advising in various significant shareholder disputes involving derivation actions and unfair prejudice petitions.
- Advising on issues arising out of a high-profile restructuring of a Singapore-listed, Hong Kong-based energy commodity trading group.
- Advising on claims and issues arising out of the liquidation of an airline company in Hong Kong.
Private wealth / trust / probate / family
- Advising in a high-profile dispute in relation to a prominent, multibillion-dollar family in Hong Kong. Prevailed after a 24-day High Court trial.
- Advising on the administration of and legal proceedings relating to the estate of a tycoon in Hong Kong, with cross-border elements spanning across the USA, BVI and Japan.
- Advising a professional trustee institution in Hong Kong in respect of trust / family proceedings relating to a family with net worth over HK$20 billion (involving PRC, Cayman Islands and Jersey elements).
- Advising a professional trustee institution in Hong Kong relating to the estate of a well-known singer in Hong Kong. The proceedings were commenced under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Ordinance (Cap. 481).
- Advising in probate, trust and inheritance proceedings relating to the estate of a Taiwanese businessman with net worth over HK$500 million, with cross-border elements spanning across the PRC, USA and BVI.
- Advising in various cases involving mentally incapacitated persons (MIPs) and issues under the Mental Health Ordinance (Cap. 136).
- Advising a leading international bank in a case involving a fraud perpetrated by its PRC business partner in respect of a real estate investment trust listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange. Prevailed at first instance and on appeal.
- Advising a leading international bank in a case involving a large-scale fraud perpetrated by one of its bankers that affected hundreds of customers (in Singapore and the USA).
- Advising banks on various mis-selling claims brought as a result of the Lehman Brothers minibond saga.
- Successfully obtained (numerous) Mareva injunctions in cyber fraud cases.
Regulatory / White collar crime
- Advising a leading international bank in an investigation by the SFC and the ICAC as a result of an alleged fraudulent scheme perpetrated by some of the employees.
- Advising a PRC-based securities firm in an investigation by the SFC for allegedly conducting regulated activities without the requisite licence.
- Advising in various price rigging / market manipulation cases.
- Advising a leading international accounting firm in relation to allegations of due diligence negligence (with cross-border elements).
- Advising a leading international accounting firm in relation to allegations of audit negligence (with cross-border elements)